Wednesday, October 7, 2009

To the Freshmen.

Dear Freshman,

I know that everyone has been telling you how important it is to stay focused and how important it is that you do what you're supposed to. I also know how annoying that is, but just keep in mind that they're only trying to help you out.

When I was a freshman I didn't take my classes as seriously as I should have, I didn't hang out with the greatest people, and I hated a lot of my teachers. Because of this my grades weren't what they could have been and I've had to work harder throughout the rest of high school and not have as much fun. At the beginning of my freshman year, I remember that I did not like my math teacher at all. I thought that she gave us to much homework and was really strict. Then during my sophomore year, I had a not so great math teacher and it made me realize how much I actually learned in my former math teacher's class, and how much fun I had during it, and how much I actually liked her, and now even in my senior year every time she sees me in the halls she stops me and always asks how I am doing in my math class.

So my advice to you is to pay attention to your teachers, stay focused, don't hang out with the wrong people, and even if you don't like your teachers remember they're just so strict because they want you to succeed. I know it may not seem like it, but you'll most likely learn the most from the teachers who are more strict (well, some of them anyway) and will thank them later on during your high school career.

Sincerely,
A Former Freshman.

8 comments:

Edgar(Danny) said...

This is great advice and good pointers for the freshman. If I had someone to give me this advice I might have done better my freshman year.

BECK said...

Great job, You're a great writer. Great.

Swanson said...

I agree with your advice about teachers. You can still learn from someone you don't really like.

Jacob D Baird said...

So far, this freshman year has been really good. Girlfriends and new friends and fun. I don't drink, or smoke. I keep my grades up and always try my hardest in class. I can be lazy and also not want to do anything. Which is why my grade drops cause I am like that most of the time. Reading is my my favorite subject. I can not spell well at all or even read. I do not like reading but i love to type. Think you for your advise on how the better you take your time in highschool and get to know your teacher and to like your teacher things will be good later on.

kelseigh said...

This is some very good advice. Well writen this was done very nicely. Good Job.

Aliy King said...

That was some very good advice i also don't really like math. But i've learned haw to deal with it in the long run also durning my 7th grade year i didn't like my math teacher at all. She was very strict and towards the end of the year I found out i was failing and i had to get my grade up so I pass. And now I'm greatful that I can be a freshman this year. And if I wasn't a freshman I wouldn't be posting this comment to you. And i truly think your advice is very helpful and I hope when I'm a senior I can write some advice to a freshman.

deena said...

I loved your story and I think I feel the same way. There's this one teacher i absolutely cant stand. he acts like he knows everything and that we should know everything, too. But really i know he's just trying to get us ready for what lies ahead. I've only been a freshman for about a month now, but i feel like i've been here for a long time. I'm trying so hard this year not to screw up like i did my eight grade year. i think I'm on the right track but somehow my past is catching up to me. people are always saying you're going to be nervous your freshman year and your first week of school but i didn't feel that way because of people like you, haha i really appreciate your advice. and even though I'm walking the halls with people maybe 4 or 5 years older than me, i don't feel intimidated or scared because most the people just go with flow. So thank you, because of just writing this one blog i feel so much more confident for this year. You're an amazing writer, good luck !

Muriel said...

You gave good advice and I use to feel that way about my teachers, but luckily I have pretty good teachers this year except one that always gets on my nerves but I live with it. I'm in the key club, too, but don't have much time to do stuff with my sports and all but good luck after high school.